Community Health Worker and Contact Tracer
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for providing social, behavioral, and resource support to residents of Springfield to engage educate to mitigate the spread of COVID 19. The CHW works closely with the Springfield Department of Health and Human Services’ Division of Nursing Services through an integrated approach to community outreach through a health equity and social justice lens. As a priority, The (CHW) is responsible for reaching out to people (contacts) who have been exposed to COVID-19 and providing health education and guidance to interrupt ongoing disease transmission. Dialogue with contacts will be guided by standard protocols to obtain any symptom history and other relevant health information, provide instructions for self-quarantine, and make appropriate referrals to testing, clinical services, and other essential support services.
- Utilize excellent and sensitive interpersonal, cultural sensitivity, and interviewing skills such that you build and maintain trust with patients and contacts as you work with a patient to help them recall everyone with whom they have had close contact during the timeframe while they may have been infectious.
- Notify exposed individuals (contacts) of their potential exposure as rapidly and sensitively as possible.
- Protect patient privacy, contacts are only informed that they may have been exposed to a patient with the infection. They are not told the identity of the patient who may have exposed them.
- Provide contacts with education, information, and support to understand their risk, what they should do to separate themselves from others who are not exposed, monitor themselves for illness, and the possibility that they could spread the infection to others even if they themselves do not feel ill.
- Encourage contacts to stay home and maintain social distance from others (at least 6 feet) until a certain day after their last exposure, in case they also become ill. They should monitor themselves by checking their temperature twice daily and watching for cough or shortness of breath.
- Check in with contacts to make sure they are self-monitoring and have not developed symptoms. Contacts who develop symptoms should promptly isolate and they should be promptly evaluated for infection and for the need for medical care.
- Maintain data in contract tracing software.
- High school Diploma or its equivalent
- Any combination of 3-years health/social services experience preferably in a community based organization or in a health care setting OR experience working in a community-based setting for at least 2 years preferred
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish and English preferred
- Experience working in a multicultural setting
- Creativity, flexibility, sound judgment, and ability to take initiative
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Demonstrated technical experience with Microsoft Word, Excel (or similar databases), and Internet Explorer
- Ability to initiate and maintain positive working relationships with team members and other organizations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally and educationally diverse staff and clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member in a complex and fast-paced environment.
- Verifiable good driving record and reliable transportation
- Positive attitude and be open to changing environment
- Performs related work as required.
- Participates in week-end and Holiday rotation which include working every other week-end as needed
- Week-end hours may be perform remotely.